Job Title: Assistant Archivist
Agency: Ancient Egypt Research Associates (AERA)
Job Location: Giza, Egypt
Reports to: Megan Lallier, Head Archivist, Boston, MA, USA
Direct Reports: Volunteers
Salary: Dependent on qualifications*
About AERA (Ancient Egypt Research Associates): AERA is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization founded in 1985 for the purpose of funding and facilitating the research of the Giza Plateau Mapping Project. It is registered as a foreign NGO under Egyptian law. AERA explores Egypt’s archaeological record to contribute insight and understanding to the development of urbanism, labor organization, and the elementary structures of ancient daily life at the once-Lost City of the pyramid builders at Giza. Since 2005, AERA has organized and directed nine field programs training Egyptian archaeologists of the Supreme Council of Antiquities in excavation and recording methods. For more information about AERA, go to www.aeraweb.org.
Job Summary: Under the direction of and in collaboration with the Head Archivist, the Assistant Archivist will support the execution of core functions and the oversight of the daily activities of the Giza archives and its collections. S/he assists with: the handling of incoming field materials; scanning, processing, and digitization projects; managing the reading room and library; responding to research requests; supervising volunteers; and managing the database.
Key Work Activities:
- Assist with the acquisition, maintenance, and preservation of materials that document AERA’s ongoing field work and history
o Using appropriate archival methods, participate in the arrangement, digitization, and description of incoming materials to ensure their accessibility
o Update and maintain excavation database and server
o Assist with the arrangement and description of archival collections, applying restriction guidelines and retention schedules as appropriate
o Participate in acquiring and ensuring the accessibility of materials in the Giza library and e-library
o Assist with coordinating the transfer of original materials to the Boston Archive
- Assist with the Administration and Management of Archives Reference Services
o Support reference service provision to internal and external researchers
o Participate in the hiring, training, and supervision of volunteers
o Compile and analyze statistical reports as needed
- Assist with the daily activities of the Records Management Program
o Assist with the transfer, storage, disposition, and destruction of paper records
o Retrieve records from storage at office’s request
- Written and spoken English fluency and strong communication skills
- At least one year of experience working in a library or archive or doing data management, inventorying, arranging, or cataloging work
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel required. Experience with databases, cataloging software, and scanning preferred.
- Residency in Egypt preferred.
*AERA does not provide benefits. Some minor relocation costs may be considered for reimbursement.