View original job posting at http://www.paulsmiths.edu/offices/hr/jobs/2012%20Internship-Sytems%20Librarian%2006.12.pdf
PAID Internship Opportunity
Position: Systems Librarian Internship
Reports to: Director of Library Services
Status: Full-Time, One Semester, Mid-August – December 2012
Paul Smith’s College is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains. Even though we’re small, we strive to do great things and offer excellent service to our patrons. We have a great opportunity for a creative, innovative, and knowledgeable student or recent MLS graduate. The selected candidate will have focused training responsibilities involved with Systems Librarian duties and have the opportunity to learn the aspects of academic librarianship in a small college setting. While extensive technical knowledge isn’t necessary, the ideal candidate should already be familiar with library technologies, have a strong propensity to learn new technology, solve technical problems without assistance, and be able to apply technology in a library setting. The candidate should also be a friendly, sociable person who is as comfortable standing in front of the classroom teaching an instruction session as helping patrons with reference questions. So, in short, we’re looking for someone who wants to combine a technology experience with a willingness and excitement to work with our campus and a great team of library staff. If this describes you, please apply.
- Develop a mobile library site \ mobile app
- Develop a Mobile tour using TAP, an open source software platform developed by the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- Implement a historical collections page using Omeka
We recently applied for a hardware grant for touch screen room reservation screens and a large public touchscreen kiosk. If the hardware grant is successful:
- Implement a touch screen interface for a public Kiosk (similar to NCSU – for context, see here: http://journal.code4lib.org/articles/5832)
- Develop a room reservation system for group study rooms that interact with hardware screens
- Develop a shelf browsing module in our VuFind OPAC.
- Create a location aware mobile app for Android or iPhone that provides users with useful services.
1. Working towards an MLS degree from an ALA-accredited library school.
2. A high degree of technical competency and\or a strong propensity to be able to learn new skills necessary to solve technical problems on your own.
4. Some experience with MYSQL or other similar relational database software.
5. Knowledge of SIRSIDynix Symphony integrated library system preferred.
6. Experience designing and writing software using the above languages preferred.
7. Interest in working with patrons in one-on-one and group situations.
8. Strong personal service philosophy and solid interpersonal and communication skills.
9. Desire to the share varied workload of a small college in a team atmosphere.
10. Ability to carry 20 lbs. 200 yards and/or up three flights of stairs.
- Applicants may submit a letter of application, resume and professional references to: Recruitment Manager/Human Resources, Paul Smith’s College, P.O. Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970. Application materials may be faxed to: 518-327-6161, or emailed in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All internship documentation required by the crediting institution should be included with application material for review.