SALARY: $20,923.61 – $30,451.42 annually; $20.05-$29.18 hourly
A beginning professional position under the general direction of the Reference Services Coordinator with supervision as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides excellent professional reference and readers’ advisory services to the public in person and online
- Makes connections, reaches out and represents the library to the community
- Collaborates with a team of professional and paralibrarian staff and with other city agencies
- Builds, manages and promotes quality collections in all formats in assigned subject areas
- Identifies, recommends, and promotes digital resources, and develops digital initiatives and virtual content using emerging technologies to improve reference services
- Maintains a working knowledge of library resources and an awareness of new resources and technologies and effectively uses and teaches the library’s resources.
- Interprets library services and policies to customers in a clear and courteous manner
- Develops, publicizes, implements and evaluates adult programming, classes and outreach services, including reading discussion group, library and technology literacy
- Actively participates in staff development and training opportunities
- Participates in community outreach project and keeps informed of community needs
- Works at various locations, including mobile library services
- May schedule, supervise and evaluate pages, interns and volunteers
- Performs other tasks, as assigned, consistent with the functions of the work unit and level of responsibility.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR PERFORMING ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Demonstrated proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Commitment to excellent customer service to a diverse community
- Demonstrated knowledge of search skills using paper and electronic resources
- Show enthusiasm and flexibility
- Embrace opportunities to learn in a changing environment
- Demonstrate proficiency in current and emerging technologies and their applications
- Ability to create positive working relationships in a team environment
- Ability to initiate, organize, and self-direct work responsibility under moderate supervision
- Ability to collaborate and create positive working relationships with all staff
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Physical ability to push carts and bins loaded with library materials
- Ability to reach and retrieve library materials at high and low shelf heights
- MLS from a library school accredited by the American Library Association or approved by the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners.
- Relevant experience will be considered.
Schedule: Includes evening and weekend assignments and working at other locations.
Other: While performing the duties of this job, the employee will frequently walk, stand, bend, stoop and reach above the head. Strength is needed to push loaded book trucks. The ability to work with the public for periods of a minimum of two hours at a time while maintaining good communication.
- Language: Second language
- Other: Degree/experience in any of the following subject areas: marketing, business, health, journalism, social service, and web technology
All inquiries should be forwarded to the City of Worcester’s Human Resources office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, August 10, 2012.
The information in this summary indicates the general nature and level of work performed within this role. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this position.
The Worcester Public Library makes every effort to support ALA’s “Core Competences of Librarianship” http://www.ala.org/ala/educationcareers/careers/corecomp/corecompetences/index.cfm as approved and adopted as policy by the ALA Council, January 27th 2009 and, as an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, values diversity and aims to have its workforce reflect the community.