As a member of the Ocean State Libraries Cataloging Department, the Cataloging Librarian I is responsible for creating records for monographs, serials, electronic resources, games, realia, and all other non-print items for which cataloging is requested by member libraries. This includes downloading records from OCLC, working with other staff members to resolve complex copy cataloging issues and performing original cataloging in all formats.
This person will be responsible for knowing and implementing all OSL Cataloging policies and procedures and will participate in strategic planning and special projects that enhance the cataloging operations of the consortium.
This person will also take an active role in teaching training classes for member libraries’ staff in person or via teleconferencing.
· Catalogs monographs, electronic resources, and all non-print materials using AACR2r, LCSH, LC classification, DDC, LCRI, RDA, and other LC and OCLC standards as they evolve. This includes both original and complex copy cataloging, along with re-cataloging if needed.
· Will be responsible for cleaning up inconsistent authorities in the OSL Database according to OSL’s policies and procedures.
· Maintains a working knowledge of cataloging technologies including “III’s Millennium”, OCLC using Passport for Windows and Connexion software, and other technologies and tools as they become available.
· Participates in any long term projects related to Cataloging.
· Keeps the cataloging backlog at a low level, as close to zero as possible
· Prepares and presents a relevant demonstration for each database management meeting.
· Assists in the process of submitting new bibliographic records on a regular schedule to Backstage Library Works, or a similar vendor application, and reconciles any exceptions noted in the process. Notes and evaluates requests for authority changes between quarterly updates; consults with Assistant Director regarding recommendations to make changes in between updates.
· Attends relevant webinars and workshops in emerging technical services topics, such as RDA.
Required knowledge skills and abilities:
· Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program.
· Experience working with “III’s Millennium” software
· Experience working with OCLC
· Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials, and practices
· Ability to analyze technical problems and make recommendations for their solution
· Ability to express ideas effectively both orally and in writing
· Ability to maintain statistics of work accomplished and prepare reports and recommendations based on information compiled
· Ability to proactively seek better work flows and solutions to improve cataloging for all members.
· Comfortable with the full use of Microsoft Excel and Word, as well as an aptitude for and interest in computer modeling.
· Interest in keeping up with all developments in the Technical Services field.
· Experience in bringing digitization of local collections and access to those collections for OSL’s member libraries.
· Ability to work in a team-based environment
This list of job responsibilities and skills is not meant to be all-inclusive. This employee is subject to other duties as directed by OSL Assistant Director and other OSL staff.
This employee reports to the Assistant Director.
Salary Range: $38,552 to $52,922.
Send Résumé and directed letter of application to: email@example.com
Joan Gillespie, Executive Director
Ocean State Libraries
300 Centerville Road, Summit South
Warwick, RI 02886
Application deadline: August 13, 2012