SLMSSENY is seeking applications from individuals who are:
1. Students currently enrolled in a program leading to certification as a School Library Media Specialist
2. New York State certified school library media specialists looking to further their professional growth and development through continuing education wthin the field of library studies/technology.
For the 2013 year, two scholarships will be given, one from each category of individuals mentioned above, each receiving funding of up to $500. The committee reserves the right to divide the awards in the event of a tie.
Download application below.
1. An applicant working towards an MLS degree. Must be a student member of SLMSSENY.
2. An applicant continuing education within the field of library studies. Must be a regular member of SLMSSENY and a certified school library media specialist currently employed in the SLMSSENY seven county area.
Applications for this award must be typed or printed on the SLMSSENY application form. See attachment below. Completed applications should be sent to:
12 Cypress Road
Suffern, New York 10901
Applications must be postmarked by February 20, 2013
Review and Selection Process
Each application will be evaluated by a blind selection process done through a set committee of Executive Board Members.
Terms of Acceptance
It is the responsibility of the winners to present the SLMSSENY Awards Chair with proof of enrollment and attendance (bursar’s receipts and transcripts) in:
1. an ALA accredited MLS program or
2. a program of continuing education that encourages growth and development in the library field.
Students applicants agree, upon completion of studies, to seek employment as a school librarian in Duchess, Orange, Putnam, Rockland, Sullivan, Ulster or Westchester counties.
Recognition of Recipient
The recipient/s will be recognized at a symposium on March 24, 2012. Award winners are encouraged to attend. A letter will be sent to the winner’s principal and superintendent, if applicable.